Shawnna Address Her Feelings About Chicago's Nickname 'Chi-Raq'


Over the last couple of years, many people, including Chicagoans, have been quick to call the City of Chicago the name 'Chi-Raq' due to its violent murder rate and crime history in the urban community. 

Well, on yesterday (April 14th), Chicago rapper Shawnna took to social media about the topic and expressed her feelings on why she hates the name that's been put on her hometown and why she will never join the bandwagon to gain entertainment publicity. Check out Shawnna's statement below.


**PSA** Please stop requesting that I do a "Chi-Raq" remix because this πŸ‘† is what "Chi-Raq" means to me. Something that I have NEVER been proud of. My city is Chicago! A beautiful city where children deserve a chance to grow and achieve! I will NEVER exploit the rampant violence and senseless deaths in our city for purpose of entertainment! πŸ™…πŸ™…πŸ™…Sorry guys I just can't do it! When I think Chicago I think '95-'96 Championships Bulls, R. Kelly, Kanye West, Common, Da Brat, Crucial Conflict, Twista, Psycho Drama, the best Blues music, Navy Pier, The Taste of Chicago, steppin with the old heads, Harold's Chicken, Stony Island, Hyde Park, The Magnificent Mile, Millenium Park and the list goes on....#ChicagoISNOTChiRaqToMe #ItIsMyHome πŸ’– Besides..... Some of you "hittaz & drillaz" wouldn't survive 5 MINUTES in Iraq!! πŸ‘Œ
Wow! Those were strong words by Shawnna and I have to say, I feel exactly where she's coming from.


Comments