Chicago Cancels Major Summer Events Due To COVID-19


Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some of Chicago's biggest events and concerts have been canceled for Summer 2020. The news broke earlier this morning, when The Department of Cultural Affairs & Special Events announced the cancellation for a number of events. According to reports, the City has canceled Memorial Day Parade along with Gospel, Blues, and House Music Fest for May and June.

Right now, it's no word if other major events will be canceled; however, Governor JB Pritzker has suggested last month that all large gatherings be shut down across Illinois throughout the summer.

"I think everybody needs to think seriously about canceling any large summer events," Pritzker said during a press conference. 

He also added "I just don't, from my perspective today, I do not see how we are going to have large gatherings of people again until we have a vaccine, which is months and months away... [I] would not risk having large groups of people getting together, anywhere. And I think that's hard for everybody to hear. But that's just a fact."

Meanwhile, we have yet to hear the fate of Taste of Chicago and other events such as Lollapalooza, but I'm sure we will find out soon. Until then, keep checking back for future updates and details.

Comments